POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Logo Competition - Vote Here ! : Re: POV-Ray Logo Competition - Vote Here ! Server Time
3 May 2024 06:04:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Logo Competition - Vote Here !
From: Rune
Date: 23 Apr 2000 06:27:58
Message: <3902d02e@news.povray.org>
"ryan constantine" wrote:
> Bill DeWitt wrote:
> >
> >     All of the replies were much milder
> > than your comment, so what did you find
> > out? That we were more polite than you?
>
> what i found out?  well, i've had family
> members in newsgroups or bulletin boards
> before, and for a while things go fine
> and dandy.  but if someone writes
> something wrong or is even only perceived
> wrong, then a lot of people get upset and
> the person that wrote the thing is outcast
> or whatever the online equivalent is.

I didn't see anyone criticize you. It was your opinions that was criticized.

> i found out that people like bob and
> nathan are willing to give the benefit of
> the doubt and be diplomatic in their
> responces, while others can be snide.
> i also found out that in my circle of
> real friends in the real world, we use
> the word suck a little less harsh than
> it was taken here.

What was it about the replies you got that you thought was snide? I don't
think they were snide. Should we have agreed completely with you in order to
you not taking it as something snide?

> i also learned that if i have a negative
> opinion about someone's work, that i
> should probably keep it to myself.
> anything else i should've learned?

Of course you have the right to come with your negative opinions about
other's work, but then others also have the right to come with their
negative opinions about your opinion. It works both ways.

Now, if we just all try to be nice, then there shouldn't be a problem.
I hope that you will stay in these newsgroups, and that you will think of us
as people who try to be polite if just you try to be polite too :-)

Greetings,

Rune

---
Updated March 15: http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk
Containing 3D images, stereograms, tutorials,